Tuesday 1 December 2009

The Vaults

Back in 2004, two guys I kind of knew, Euan and Mark, were looking after booking the weekend nights at a new space, called The Vaults, that had opened up. They offered me a Friday night to put something on. I decided to resurrect the name Beats n Pieces, though the music policy wasn't quite the same as its first incarnation, more downtempo, hip hop, funk and soulful sounds.

I managed to persuade the guys to get me to design the flyers and posters which were to cover all the nights on each month.  It was a good regular gig for both DJing and designing.

Here's the first Vaults flyer I did, from September 2004.



For the next flyer I split the Friday and Saturday nights to a side each and, trying a build a bit of brand recognition and develop a distinct style, kept the flyers in a similar style with a change to the colour.



I realised that I was too often relying on the same favourite fonts, especially Impact, so I changed it for the next one but kept the layout the same except for the colour.



I enjoyed doing those flyers, and DJing at The Vaults, but eventually the management decided to something else with the space. I had made a good friend in Mark though and we would work together again before long.

No comments:

Post a Comment