Thursday 10 December 2009

Spin Off

At the start off 2005, club venue Cabaret Voltaire was taken over by new management.

I had previously been involved with the management at another venue so they offered me to run a midweek night and do something in a similar style to Headspin, my other long-running club venture.

I grabbed the opportunity as I was by this time out of work having been made redundant from my day job working in Fopp Records and it didn't involve any financial input from me, being on a simple share of the door takings.

The night was to be called Spin Off and, naturally, I was going to design the flyers for it.

The first flyer was a DL size single sided number, the other side being used to promote another night on at The Cab. Here is what I came up with.


I was excited about the new fonts and the image I had found and thought this looked a good flyer that got the spirit of the night over well. The silhouetted breakdancer was going to be our motif. Prepare to see these elements again sometime.

The next flyer I didn't feel was quite as successful but the management seemed to like it so we went with it.


The night took a while to get going, and we ended up not charging to get in as the midweek crowd are very price aware and there was a lot of other free nights on.

As it was starting to get busy, building a decent crowd every week, the management lost faith in us and pulled the plug. I wasn't too fussed as I was finding the weekly gig a bit of a strain and had also found a full time job which meant that lots of late midweek nights weren't a good idea.

I do think I produced some decent work for the night though which I would develop a bit further in my next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment