Saturday 11 September 2010

Stevenson College

In June 2005 I started working full time at Stevenson College Edinburgh, as a Desktop Publisher, whilst still carrying on doing a bit of freelance design work, club promotion and DJing.

My work involved lots of different stuff including: typesetting and preparing reports, forms and course materials; designing brochures, posters and leaflets; and creating and sourcing illustrations and graphics. I had to ensure all materials produced complied with the corporate standards and take into account accessibility issues.

It was a good job; it had a varied workload and I worked with a great couple of girls who kept me amused even during the boring times.

Some examples of my work follow. The first is an A4 flyer advertising a course with an application form overleaf. I designed the layout and created the form, also an electronic version which could be filled in online.


The next piece is a 4 page A4 booklet advertising open learning courses which was litho printed, I sourced all the images, did the typography and designed the layout on this. It was a bit of a challenge to fit the text on in a nice way but I was very pleased with the end result.


This poster was used to advertise a charity event one of the students at the college was organising. The typefaces and layout was supposed to convey the fun nature of the event.


These two posters were to advertise a competition and an event that the Film and Media department were running. I tried a couple of techniques here that I hadn't used before so I was happy with they way they turned out.


I enjoyed my time at Stevenson immensely but after a while I found myself starting to get stuck in a bit of a rut and seeing the same jobs come in every year so in November 2007 I left for pastures new.

I still had bits of freelance work on the go and was still DJing and promoting club nights so I was very busy but felt the need for a new challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment